Description of Easy Flash 3
The Easy Flash 3 cartridge provides 7 EasyFlash slots, each of them is a full-featured EasyFlash 1. With a menu you can choose which one you want to start.
In addition, you can replace the internal KERNAL with one of up to eight KERNALS stored in the cartridge. The external KERNAL has the same software compatibility as if it were built-in.
In late 2010, a group of people suggested the need for a KERNAL replacement cartridge. This cartridge would allow those with socket KERNAL ROMs to enjoy KERNAL updates such as JiffyDOS and would also help KERNAL developers to test new ideas before burning an EPROM.
Due to the complexity of "replacing" a ROM inside a machine without physically removing it, a Commodore Bounty was created to encourage someone to develop the solution. Thomas Giesel took up the challenge, finding a novel solution, and developing an economically viable solution.
Along the way, Thomas incorporated some additional functions, and the result is EasyFlash 3.
Easy Flash 3 features
EasyFlash 3 offers a number of features:
- 8 slots of 8kB for alternative KERNAL ROM images,
- 7 slots for EasyFlash I cartridge images.
- Support for the following cartridge formats
- Normal 8k
- Normal 16k
- Type 1 Ocean
- EasyFlash xbank
- Support for Action Replay, Retro Replay, Nordic Power and Super Snapshot 5 images.
- Upgradable firmware and hardware configuration.
- Ability to replace/add/remove images from the C64
- EasyFlash can be used on the C64, C64C and SX64. Use of the C128/C128D is currently not supported.
You can read more about Easy Flash 3 in our article of the blog.
You can also watch the illustrative video from Commodore Spain showing how to load the games from the pc in Easy Flash 3.
Note: The C64 motherboard model 326298 requires modification to work with the EF3 (or any cartridge that pulls the reset line). Options are discussed in this thread: https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46277
There are no reviews yet.