Enjoy a console-like gaming experience with Dandanator ZX
Dandanator Zx is a massive support for games in cartridge format compatible with Spectrum ZX computers. If you like to play with your computer but you don't have much time, Dandanator ZX can be a fantastic option for your leisure time. The creator of this project as well as of Dandanator CPC is DandareWe are sure to see some new device available for our computers very soon.
Features of Dandanator ZX
This superb cartridge features 512kb flash rom memory in which you will be able to load a multitude of games to enjoy instant loads, it also has a joystick connection with kempston interface that allows both to program the Dandanator ZX how to make use of the joystick port, very useful to be able to play with the spectrum gums or its plus version that do not incorporate joystick port.
- Thanks to 512kb of instant access memory, it is possible to develop advanced multi-level games offering a 'console-like' experience.
- Instantly loads both programs and 128kb/48kb/ROM games selected via a menu on the Spectrum itself.
- Games or programs can be changed from the Spectrum itself without additional hardware via audio, serial connection or using a divide or divmmc.
- Allows games to be compressed to optimise space (up to 18 48kb games or 8-9 128kb games)
- It works without jumpers or any kind of configuration on any Spectrum, from a 48k to a +3.
- Supports both uncompressed and compressed 48kb and 128kb SNA and Z80 format images as well as 16k ROM images. Also TAP files and MLD images for multiload games with progress recording on the dandanator itself.
- Allows you to select pokes from a library compatible with the .POK format or enter them manually.
- You can "freeze" the splash screens at the start of game loading for our enjoyment.
- Incorporates a rear EDGE connector extension
- It remains disabled when not in use and does not interfere with other software or peripherals.
- Provides software for creating, managing and transferring game romsets for Windows, MacOS and Linux.
Commissioning the Dandanator ZX
To start using Dandanator ZX could not be easier, we only have to insert the cartridge into the expansion port of our favourite Spectrum computer and once we have done this, simply turn it on. Immediately we will have on screen the game menu of the cartridge, where we only have to select our favourite game and... start playing!
Insert the Dandanator ZX into the expansion port of your Spectrum ZX computer. Make sure that the connector is clean, otherwise the cartridge will not make good contact and may give errors at startup.
If it doesn't work the first time, simply remove the cartridge and check that the contacts of your ZX are clean. You can use a napkin soaked in alcohol to remove any traces of rust and dirt. If this doesn't get the contacts clean enough, you can also rub both sides of the connector with fine sandpaper and even re-tin the connector. Tinning the connector is easy, but it takes some practice.
Thanks to 512k of instant access memory, it is possible to develop advanced multi-level games offering a "console-like" experience.
How to program Dandanator ZX
To program our Dandanator Zx we can do it in several ways. The first and easiest way is through the audio jack of the spectrum. For programming through the joystick port we will need a computer with a serial port (COM) or a USB to COM port adapter. Although it is not very common to have a computer with an integrated serial port, we can find this kind of adapters very easily. It is also possible to program our Dandanator ZX using DIVide.
Dandanator ZX audio programming
In the following video you can see how the ZX Dandanator! mini is programmed and the romset is downloaded from the pc through the audio of the microcomputer.
As can be seen, this is the slowest charging system, but it is nonetheless a useful system that we can also make use of.
Programming via Kempston port
In the video we can see how is the update from the joy kempston port. In this type of programming we will need a computer with a serious connection or a usb to serial adapter.
Do you need a Dandanator ZX? please contact us and we will get back to you as soon as possible.