Transfer your files EASILY with Gotek Disk Simulator
Thanks to technological development, there are more and more data storage options available every day. The floppy disk drive is now an obsolete system that is fast disappearing, due to its small storage space, short lifespan and the rapid development of other data transfer options, magnetic disk drives are losing their importance in the IT sector in favour of flash memory drives. For this reason the Gotek disk simulator was born.
What is Gotek Disc Simulator?
Gotek is a device that allows us to emulate a physical disk drive in any computer, machinery or equipment that allows the connection of the same. The Gotek disk simulator works thanks to a firmware that allows to simulate and adapt the reading signal of a mechanical disk drive to a usb interface, allowing in this way to transfer information from modern personal computers to these equipments.
Nowadays, there is a large amount of equipment and machinery (among them also the computers of the 80s and 90s) that make use of these mechanical drives and in most cases it is difficult to transfer files between these devices and today's personal computers.
In order to enable the transfer of files between these devices, the Gotek disk simulator was created.
These floppy disk replacements are specially designed for a large number of computerised devices in different industries, which are still equipped with floppy disks for all kinds of data input and transfer.
A wide range of industries that still rely solely on floppy drives include textiles, robotics, the music industry and many others. With the growing popularity of floppy to USB solutions, the Gotek emulator will provide a suitable data transfer solution for industrial users who still do not rely on the same old floppy drives for their work equipment.
Gotek is a suitable solution in the form of an emulator for easier data transfer. The Gotek Disk Simulator drive is available in many different formats and sizes, including support for 1.44 MB disks, 720 KB double density floppy drive to USB emulator, 1.2 MB floppy drive to USB upgrade with 34-pin interface and 1.44 MB floppy drive to USB emulator with 26-pin interface.
We can find different versions of floppy drive to USB emulators taking into account the needs of the industry. These floppy drive to USB emulators are so cleverly designed that they use the same traditional 34-pin floppy drive channels and the same supply voltage of +5 volts DC.
The size of these floppy drive to USB emulators was also kept the same, so that they can fit in the same place using the same screws.
These disk emulators completely replace the old mechanical disk drives and floppy disks, allowing for more efficient use in industry.
The Gotek disk simulator unit has been specially manufactured and designed with the large number of customers in various fields who still rely solely on floppy disk drives in mind:
- CNC machines (Electronics, Sodick, Seib and Meyer)
- Plastic moulding machines
- Robotics industry (ABB / Kuka robots)
- Textile industry ( Bonas, Grosse , Staubli )
- Embroidery machines (Tajima, ZSK , SWF , Lasser , Saurer, Brother, Barudan )
- Wire cutting (electronic, etc.)
- Diamond cutting
- Music industry (musical keyboards and synthesizers Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Tritron, Kerton, etc.)
- Computers (Amstrad, Spectrum, Amiga, Msx, etc.)
Gotek disk simulator with 3D printed support for Amstrad CPC
Gotek currently has two firmwares available that extend the compatibility of the system, HxC and Flashfloppy. To make the gotek compatible with a long list of microcomputers and keyboards we will need either of these 2 firmwares mentioned above, thanks to which we will be able to directly mount any disk image that can handle the compatible system in question.
Gotek It is a free standardThis is why we can find on the net several developments of this system. Anyone can make a gotek or adapt it to their specific needs.
Gotek Disc Simulator at a glance
The basic unit of gotek It features a seven-segment display, USB connection for a USB flash drive, and two selection buttons for choosing the disc image.
For this unit there are several modifications, such as the OLED display where the selected images (the filename) are displayed, a buzzer for simulation of the mechanical loading sound, and the possibility to replace the pushbuttons with a rotary encoder. The disk images (DSK or HFE) are loaded from the USB drive formatted in FAT 32.
Commercial models for sale
With a 1.44 MB disk capacity and a 34-pin floppy disk controller interface:
With a 720KB disk capacity and a 34-pin floppy disk controller interface:
With a 26-pin flat cable driver interface:
Gotek Disk Simulator Frequently Asked Questions
What is the connection of the disk drive?
IDC34pin+4P power supply plug
IDC26pin without additional power
FPC26 girdle 1.0MM pin distance use model SFR*-26
The FPC26 flat cable has a distance of 1.25 million pins.
IDC34pin without additional power
What is the capacity of the disc?
1.44MB 1.2MB or 720Kb used for SFR1M44- model* SFR1M2-* or SFRM72-***
In FAT disk format:
Open the floppy disk in the computer, to confirm if the disk format is FAT.
If it is not FAT, you need to use WINHEX to try to read the floppy disk image.
Known compatible machine models
Below you will find a reference guide with the machines compatible with the Gotek disc simulator and compatibilities with commercial models.
- Acorn Archimedes
- Acorn BBC Micro
- Amstrad CPC
- Amstrad PCW
- Amstrad PPC
- Atari ST
- Commodore Amiga
- IBM 3174
- IBM PC
- IBM PS/2
- NEC PC-98
- Sinclair QL
- Tandy Color Computer
- TSC Flex
- UKNC, DVK
- SFR1M44-SUE =Chinese embroidery machine with dahao main board, recognises only DST DSB format.
- SFR1M44-JUK =JUKI 210D Sewing Machine
- SHIMA SFR1M2-FU =SHIMA SEIKI SES flat knitting machine
- SFRM72-TU100UNI =MULLER1/2 label weaving machine in UNI format
- SFR1M44-U100K-R =ROLAND G800 E96 musical keyboard
- TAJIMA HAPPY with 1.44 MB disk capacity and 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFR1M44-FU
- TAJIMA HAPPY BARUDAN with 720KB disk capacity and 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFRM72-FU
- BARUDAN BENSwith a 720KB disk capacity and a 26-pin ribbon cable controller interface uses SFRM72-DU26
- The TAJIMA TMEG with a 720KB disk capacity and a 34-pin controller interface uses the SFRM72-FU-EG (the same as the SFRM72-FU-EG).
- work with the SFRM72-FU, but the built-in memory does not work when no USB stick is connected to the emulator).
- Chinese embroidery machine with main board from dahao SWF usa SFR1M44-SUE
Flat knitting machine
- STOLL with 1.44MB disk capacity and 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFR1M44-LUN
- SFR1M44-FUM-DL SFR1M44-U100K
- The SHIMA SEIKI SES series with a 1.2 MB disk capacity and a 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses the SHIMA
- SHIMA SEIKI SES series with a 1.44 MB disk capacity and a 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFR1M44-LUN
Label weaving machine
MULLER3 STAUBLI-JC5 BONAS with 1.44MB disk capacity and 34pin floppy disk controller interface in use
STAUBLI-JC4 with 1.44MB disk capacity and 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFR1M44-U100K
MULLER1/2 with UNI format uses the SFRM72-TU100UNI
Musical instruments (keyboards and synthesizers)
YAMAHA KORG with 1.44MB disk capacity and 34pin floppy driver interface use SFR1M44-FUM-DL SFR1M44-U100K
ROLAND G800 E96 with a 1.44 MB disk capacity and a 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFR1M44-FU-DL SFR1M44-U100K-R
YAMAHA EL900 900M 900B 500 700 01C 01M with 1.44MB disk capacity and 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFR1M44-FEL-DL
- The JUKI 210D with a 1.44 MB disk capacity and a 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses the SFR1M44-JUK
- MITSUBISHI 200HA with a 720KB disk capacity and a 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFRM72-FU
- MITSUBISHI FA with 1.44 MB disk capacity and 34-pin floppy disk controller interface uses SFR1M44-LUN
If you need a Gotek disc simulator, please contact us and we will get back to you as soon as possible.